Saturday, 13 July 2013

Scottish Cultural History as Illustrated by Musical Song Collections: CILIP LIHG visit

Whittaker Library visited by CILIP's Library and Information History Group


On Friday 12th July, 2013, I spoke about nearly all my 'True Imaginary Friends' in under an hour.  We hosted visitors from the CILIP Library and Information History Group, and - for the first time ever - I had just about every significant title from my PhD assembled along one long table.  I stood and looked, somewhat stunned, at the number of titles I intended to talk about in 45 minutes.  Would I do it?

Yes!  And I believe a good time was had by all.  My 'True Imaginary Friends' were handed round the group with due reverence as I talked.  

I took a different approach to my subject this time.   Realising that my audience would not be musicologists first and foremost, but book historians, I linked each collection back to the literary work that had either influenced it directly, or was typical of a genre that had been influential upon our Scottish song collectors.  

Thus, I mentioned Macpherson and Ossian, Samuel Johnson and James Boswell, William Tytler, Sydney Morgan and The Wild Irish Girl, Sir Walter Scott and his Antiquary, James Hogg and the Confessions of a Justified Sinner.  You didn't think they had much to do with Scottish songs?  Think again, dear reader, think again!

There wasn't a PowerPoint, so I can't share the slides online, but the talk is available via my Academia.edu pages.  Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment