Friday, 1 February 2013

Haunts of Ghostly Organists

Episcopalian Church door, Roxburgh Pl.
I blogged about this excitement on Whittaker Live, a couple of weeks ago.  In short, a historian of 18th/19th century Edinburgh has helped me identify which church Alexander Campbell played at.  Read my posting here:-


Edinburgh Doors



Roxburgh Place Episcopalian Church
Up until now, I knew Campbell played at an Episcopalian church in 'Nicolson Street', but I hadn't been able to find the name of the church.  Eleanor Harris helped me work out that the church was actually round the corner in Roxburgh Place.  It was originally two flats on the ground floor of a tenement, and believe it or not, the clergyman paid for the premises himself.  The building is still there - my next challenge is to see if I can gain access.


I'm beginning to plan my book-launch, which will be in the Whittaker Library at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland at 4 pm on Friday 26 April 2013.  There will be music a-plenty: fiddle, cello, clarsach, bagpipes, me on the piano, a fabulous singer and - hopefully - a saxophone quartet.  And a talk, wine and nibbles.  Surely unmissable!  I was talking to my friend the piper only today.

No comments:

Post a Comment