Tuesday, 5 June 2012

Pining for my imaginary friends

Well, there was all the excitement of March and April - all those talks and lectures and getting the book manuscript ready to be sent off.  

Then came the sense of anticlimax - almost a vacuum.  I didn't know what to do with myself.  I wrote up one of the talks for my professional journal, and that helped. 

But now I'm getting withdrawal symptoms.  Not writing now seems to be more painful than writing/editing to a deadline.  In my spare time, I wrote a set of limericks for every instrument in the orchestra, working my way down the score.  It was fun and entertaining, but really no more satisfying than a bowl of popcorn when you actually need a meal!

There are days when my job is absorbing, and days when I feel I've made a difference, but in all honestly, being a librarian is often just a question of getting your head down and concentrating on minutiae.  But it doesn't necessarily satisfy my creative urge.  I need another research project!  (Shh, don't tell anyone ....)

Meanwhile, I'm waiting to hear how the book manuscript was received.  I got it into the best shape I could, but I'm a novice book author, so I've no idea how much more work is ahead of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment