Thursday, 26 April 2012

Calm before the storm

Think of a storm - a real one or a musical one.  Now think of the calm before it.  The suspense.  The glancing at the grey-black sky with its ominous portent.  All hell is going to be let loose, sooner or later.

Here I sit, Thursday morning, having a quiet coffee before I go to give the last of my Strathclyde Lectures.  Thence on to my normal workplace for the afternoon.  So, is this the calm before the storm?  No, it's only a practice for the real storm tomorrow!

I'm sitting here with a laptop and a pink USB stick.  It's hard to imagine that they contain all I need for a book manuscript submission!  But it's true - all I need to to is print out the whole thing, save it various ways, and salley forth to the post office tomorrow.  So, there will be a flurry of activity the likes of which haven't been witnessed since my thesis submission on 1st July 2009 (see, I still remember the date!).  And then, ah then, I can fling a nice bottle of something celebratory into the supermarket trolley, and decide how and where to start tackling the backlog of STUFF that represents the rest of my daily life!

I'm familiar with 'what happens next' in magazine and scholarly journal contexts, but not with the book process.  So - meanwhile, I'll just keep blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment