Sunday, 12 February 2012

What have I DONE this weekend?!

Nice healthy swim
I drowned in domesticity this weekend.  All the usual stuff - no need to list it here.  I even fitted in a nice healthy 30 lengths at the local pool, without drowning.

Alas, I don't seem to have done much (anything?) on Chapter 5.  I did a couple of revisions that I'd flagged up on Friday.  I've spent an hour tidying up papers and notes.  And last night I thought I had a brainwave, so I tried to follow it through.  And tried again this evening.  Suffice to say that it wasn't much of a brainwave after all.  It could be, I grant you, but to make it a genuine brainwave would entail at least ...
  • Sourcing as many early volumes of Moore's Irish Melodies as a 9-5 worker can access in Glasgow
  • Looking at all six volumes of R A Smith's Scotish Minstrel again (similar constraints)
  • Looking at Jones' Welsh Musical and Poetical Relicks and subsequent Bardic Museum, in depth (ditto)
Sitting at the piano for an hour or two, with a later compilation of Moore, and a couple of songs each from the other books, was insufficient.  Similarly listening to some Moore CDs.  Moreover, whilst I love Moore's Irish Melodies with a passion that surprises me, if I hear another high-pitched soprano singing in the register an octave above middle C tonight, I shall scream.   Wherever you are, dear reader, you'd probably hear me, but I've taken steps to obviate this.  The CD player has been unplugged.

So much for the brainwave.  I sense a conference paper there, but not in the immediate future.  Meanwhile, back to the chapter.  I think I'll read through what I've written, carefully.  And put my pile of reading in chronological order so I can skim them without risking backward references to things I haven't yet seen.  

Our dinner guest bought Chardonnay.  What's left, is in the fridge.  Might be an incentive to get on with the chapter for an hour or so, first?

No comments:

Post a Comment