Friday, 27 January 2012

A way to avoid chocolate binges

Exeter University sent me an alumni newsletter today.  Recent research findings from my second alma mater tell me I should walk, to keep off the chocolate. I shall have to try this!

I confess to having indulged in chocolate as I got down to my manuscript revisions this evening, though.  Give me a break! I'd done a day's work and the supermarket run.  Chocolate is the least I deserve.  (They were only from the 75% reductions in Boots' Sale, anyway. 75% less calories, 75% less fat ...) 

As I thought about late 18th and early 19th century collections, I listened to William Boyce's Symphonies.  Just a little earlier than "my" collectors.  


I'm now 50 pages ahead of schedule, and that leaves me looking forward to revising chapter 3 this weekend.  With that in mind, I listened to My Gentle Harp,Una Hunt's boxed set of Moore's Irish Melodies - contemporary with my Chapter 3 people, albeit a different Celtic repertoire!  I'm toying with the idea of taking a couple of days' holiday soon, so I can lock myself up in Glasgow University Library's Special Collections and think about images.  (And also sneak a peek at William Shield's 19th century music treatise, since I clearly wouldn't find it on Eighteenth Century Collections Online.  My enquiring mind will be the death of me!)  Glasgow is my fourth alma mater.  


Erm - and I can't totally rule out a trip to Aberystwyth - my third alma mater - to investigate Iolo Morganwg et al.  I'm resisting, but his siren-like call is most enticing!  Shh, don't tell anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment